For her birthday party, your kid wants a big cake, all her friends over, and princess-themed everything. But don’t worry, we’ve got a step-by-step guide on how to plan a kids birthday party — and keep your sanity. With our handy list, you can plan and throw a kids birthday party like a pro!
Once you have the party details and guest list, send out invites!
- Decide on a date, time, and location. If you’re hosting the party somewhere other than your home, you might need to make a reservation.
- Create a guest list. Do you want to keep it small and just have a few of your kid’s BFFs, or is his whole class invited? What about family members and friends?
- Order and post/hand-deliver invitations. Things to consider including: a simple map or brief directions, RSVP contact and deadline.
A perfect day
A dotty cake and invitations to match for the birthday star who loves polka dots!
- Choose a party theme. From trains to space to ladybugs, there’s no shortage of awesome birthday party themes!
- Order cake or purchase/prep ingredients for a homemade cake.
- Buy or make decorations. Thanks to the internet, you can find free printables online for everything from birthday banners to cupcake picks.
- Select the food, whether you’re booking a caterer, ordering from a restaurant, or just making it from scratch. Don’t forget necessities like cutlery, plates, napkins, and cups!
- Decide on games and activities. Keep the little folks entertained with store-bought games like board games or classics like musical chairs.
- Purchase and assemble party favors. A few treats like candies or even pencils and erasers in a small party bag are great parting favors to thank guests for coming.
After the party
Thank guests for coming with a personalized card!
Write and send thank you notes. It never hurts to say thanks for attending, especially if the parents gave your kid birthday presents. Pro tip: During the party, take a picture of your kid with each guest. Print out the pictures and send each guest their photo with your thank you card to remember the good times by!
That’s it! Refer to this list and you’ll be on your way to birthday party bliss.